Thursday, December 29, 2011

Shrimp Chowder

It's been O so cool here.  Rain has finally arrived.  Lots of it.  Makes me hungry for a nice hot soup...I got this one from an old Gooseberry Patch Home for the Holidays Book.  Think I'll try it this weekend.

Shrimp Chowder
  • 4 large onions, sliced thin
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 6 medium potatoes, pared and cubed
  • 1 T salt (okay I can't imagine putting this much salt in it!!!)
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups (1/2 lb) grated cheese (cheddar, colby, etc)
  • 2 lbs deveined shrimp
In a dutch oven (using my 3 Qt Longaberger Casserole for this), saute onion in butter or margarine.  Add water, potatoes, salt and pepper; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Meanwhile, heat milk and cheese until the cheese has melted (do not boil).  To the potatoes and onions add the shrimp; cook until the shrimp turn pink (about 3 minutes).  Add the hot milk/cheese mixture.  Heat, again do not boil.  Serve with a sprig of parsley.  Makes 8 large servings.

1 comment:

  1. Just have to say that I made this soup for "Souper Sunday". It was really great and I will definitely make it again. It's easy to make and quick too. We enjoyed it while watching the Denver Broncos and TEBOW make history and now on to the next game....GO BRONCOS!

    ReplyDelete